The National Institute of Medical Herbalists (NIMH) is the United Kingdom’s leading professional body representing herbal practitioners.
The Institute carries out a range of activities that help ensure NIMH members offer the highest standards of herbal medicine practice.
NIMH carries out the following key functions:
- Maintains a Register of individual members.
- Sets the profession’s educational standards.
- Runs an accreditation system for training establishments.
- Maintains mandatory programmes of professional development.
- Provides codes of conduct, ethics and practise.
- Operates a complaints mechanism and disciplinary procedures.
- Represents the profession, patients and the public through participation in external processes such as regulation of the profession and herbal medicine.
- Checks that all NIMH Members have professional indemnity, public liability and medical malpractice insurance.
- Operates a mandatory comprehensive block insurance scheme.
The organisation has a long and illustrious history. It was first established as the National Association of Medical Herbalists in 1864 by a group of herbalists from the north of England. Today the National Institute of Medical Herbalists has members throughout the United Kingdom and internationally.
The Institute promotes the benefits, the efficacy and the safe use of herbal medicine. Our members treat hundreds of thousands of patients every year. By choosing a NIMH member as your herbal medicine practitioner you can be confident of their high standards of training and professional conduct.
To find a qualified herbalist near you, you can use the dropdown menu above or follow this link
Each year NIMH holds a Conference – for details click here